(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
Do you often dream about having dessert for breakfast? Well, now you can!
A slice of porr.., I mean a bowl of healthy porridge that taste like carrot cake? Who’s up for it? Seriously, if you often have trouble finding motivation to wake up, I may just have what you need!
This is one of my favourite breakfasts and it’s simple and quick to make, which makes me love it even more! I don’t know about you, but I am no morning material and when I wake up I like to:
- Talk to no-one. Not unless I’ve had some food at least.
- Go straight to the kitchen to get some fuel to wake me up (this step can be very hard sometimes).
- Drink a cup of green tea before I even start breakfast to quinch my thirst.
- Cook breakfast in less than 5 minutes (I can’t handle anything complicated on an empty stomach).
- Sit down and enjoy my breakfast, possibly in peace and quite. Although, with two kids around, this is more like a dream.
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I couldn’t agree more. After a long night with no food and drinks, our body need to recharge and stock up on some good nutrients that hopefully will give us the energy and motivation to start the day. This is why I pay a lot of attention into what fuel I choose to start the day. First of all, I try to avoid sugar for breakfast. Sugar can give you a massive lump of energy within minutes, but then it will leave you tired and craving more food to get your energy back. It’s best to base breakfast on slow-release carbohydrates and protein, which will make you feel full for longer and you won’t be victim of those sugar rollercoasters. Porridge doesn’t have any sugar added and contain a good amount of fibers, so it’s a perfect breakfast candidate. It can, however, taste pretty boring if eaten on its own. That’s why I like to spice mine up with different flavours, nuts and fruit, or in this case, vegetables!
This is probably one of my favourite ways to eat porridge, I mean I am a serious carrot cake addict, but unfortunately eating carrot cake for breakfast can leave me a bit overwhelmed and it’s not the healthiest way to start the day. So, I decided to turn my porridge into a bowl of carrot cake. How? By simply grating a carrot into the porridge while it’s cooking and adding some mixed spice, as well as walnuts.
You could add a bit of honey to it, if you have a sweet tooth and are not ready for unsweetened porridge yet. You could also add some raisins to it or mix and match any nuts/seeds/dry fruit you have at hand. It all takes less than 5 minutes to make and I promise you, it’s so worth it!
Ingredients (serve 1)
- 50g porridge oats (use GF oats if required)
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 carrot, grated very thinly
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, crushed
- 1 tsp raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add the oats, the milk, the grated carrot and the mixed spice.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for about 2 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the porridge is starting to look creamy. Remember, porridge absorbs more liquids once you turn the heat off, so make sure you leave it a bit runny if you don’t want to end up with a brick made of oats ;).
- Top with the crushed walnuts and raisins, if using, and drizzle with the honey, or omit if you prefer not to add any extra sugar. Enjoy!