(Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan)
100% apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon, a delicious healthy snack to munch on wherever you are!
So, yesterday was my son’s first birthday and we will be having a little party with some family and friends over the weekend. For the occasion, I have been busy baking and I am trying to come out with a super moist chocolate cake. So far, I baked two cakes, the first attempt was a bit of a disaster, but Wesley (my husband) kind of liked it, so that’s good. The second attempt was better, but I ran out of vegetable oil, so I had to use olive oil. Despite the after taste of olive oil, the consistency was definitely improved! Haha 🙂 I reckon it will take me another attempt or 2 to get it how I want it, but we’ll see! Point being, I have plenty of chocolate cake around the house in need of eating and I still have to bake another one or 2 for the party. I am a bit chocolate overwhelmed at the moment and decided I needed a healthier snack.
To be honest, I am not a big fan of raw apples. I love their taste and I love them in any form but not raw. I really can’t stand their consistency. If they are blended or grated, that’s fine, I quite like them like that. Anyways, I wanted to share with you this easy healthy apple crisps recipe. It’s very simple and I love snacking on these in front of a movie or when I’m out and about or while I’m writing on my blog. In fact, I am munching on them as I speak! 🙂
They are extremely simple to make, but here is a few tricks you need to bear in mind. First of all, you need to slice the apples. Use a mandolin if you have one or just a regular kitchen knife and cut thin slices. They should be thin, but not see-through kind of thin, or they might burn while cooking. Then, lay them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon on each side and bake at 140C/270F/gas mark 1 for about 60-75 minutes, until they start to get crispy. Now, if you like them soft, you could just take them out of the oven after 60-75 minutes. If you do want them crispy, however, turn the oven off, but leave the tray with the slices of apple inside for another hour. And that’s it, not too bad right?
My kids love this snack and it such a great alternative to many unhealthy snacks such as crisps, seriously give them a go! 🙂
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 apples
- Cinnamon, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 140C/270F/gas mark 1.
- Slice the apples thinly, using a mandolin if you have one. You don’t want the slices to be too thin or they might burn while cooking.
- Lay the slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Sprinkle each side of the slices with cinnamon.
- Bake in the over for about 60-75 minutes, until they start to get crispy. 30 minutes after the apples have been baking, turn them around. This process is very important, to prevent the slices from sticking to the baking paper.
- If you like the apple crisps soft, remove them from the oven after 60-75 minutes. If you prefer them crispy, then turn the oven off, but leave the tray with the apple slices in the oven for another hour, to allow them to get even more crispy.
I hope you like these as much as I do! What are your favourite snacks? Let me know!