(Gluten Free and Dairy Free options available)
Ditch those frozen pizzas and give these amazing pitta pizzas a go, they are ready in minutes and can be topped with a lot of colourful veggies for a healthy and delicious meal!
It’s Monday again, but fear not, I have a beautiful recipe to share with you that hopefully will give you a great start to the week! A few days ago, we decided to make homemade kebabs, so I bought some wholegrain pittas for my husband and daughter and I was just going to have some gluten free bread on the side, as I didn’t really feel like spending £2 for 4 GF pittas. But then, what happened was that I forgot to defrost the chicken breasts I had in the freezer and dinner time was nearly there. Great, I’ll have to think about something different now! Luckily enough, I had a mozzarella in the fridge, that I was keeping for a cauliflower pizza and due to lack of time, I decided to turn those pittas into pizza bases!
A note for all of you who, like me, can’t eat gluten. You can use regular GF pittas or those sandwich thins (Wartburtons and Tesco make some really good ones) or you can do what I did and just use slices of brown GF bread. They taste delicious either way! Just try, if you can, to use brown or seeded bread/pittas, as they are healthier, they contain more fiber and will make you feel fuller for longer.
Another note, in regards to the toppings. I recommend using fresh mozzarella and not the processed grated kind. It only costs about 50-60p per mozzarella ball and I think that the Sainsbury’s own brand, just the basic one, tastes amazing! If you can’t eat dairy, you can omit the cheese and just add a bit more vegetables, maybe add some fresh herbs or use dairy free cheese instead.
All you have to do is: spread some tomato paste on your pittas and top with slices of fresh mozzarella and any toppings you like! I like to use as many vegetables as possible and I think it’s also a great way to have your kids eating them. Try red onion and peppers or mushrooms and fresh tomatoes or use chicken or any vegetables you like! Go crazy! 🙂 I always sprinkle mine with a bit of oregano or fresh basil. To finish it off, drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt. Cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes and ta-da! Dinner is served!
Ingredients (Make 4 Pitta Pizzas)
- 4 wholegrain pittas (use gluten free pittas or bread slices or sandwich thins if required)
- 4-6 Tbsp tomato puree
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Oregano or fresh basil leaves
- Choice of toppings: fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, red onions, peppers, sweetcorn, chicken, spinaches, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes or any topping you like
- Preheat the oven to 425F/225C/Gas Mark 7.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and lay the pittas on it.
- Spread 1/1.5 Tbsp of tomato puree on each pitta.
- Top each pitta with your favourite toppings.
- Sprinkle a bit of oregano on each pitta or top with some fresh basil leaves.
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil and season with a bit of salt.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!