A tasty and easy healthy meal with a light creamy sauce, with all of the pleasure and none of the guilt!
I am so excited to share with you this recipe, it’s extremely simple to make but so delicious and the sauce is lighter and healthier than many other creamy sauces out there!
For this recipe, I have used chicken breasts, as they contain less fat than other parts of the chicken and they just go so well with this sauce. The sauce…should we talk about it? I believe, we should! Most sauces classified as “creamy” usually contain cream in it, which as you probably know it’s not exactly healthy and it’s full of saturated fats. So, instead I have used cream cheese, which is lower in calories and fats than cream and it gives the sauce a bit of a tangy taste, which I love! Plus, cream cheese can be found very cheap for less than 5op for 200g. I only used 100g, that way you can keep the other half of the tub for something else, like dipping some carrot sticks in it or use it again to make another batch! 😉 Because of the little amount of cream cheese I have used, I needed something else to make the sauce a bit more liquid and increase its volume. What did I use? Simple, just a little bit of vegetable stock. That’s it? That’s it, oh and a bit of parsley and the mushrooms of course!
To cook the chicken breasts, I first cut them in thin slices and then fried in a bit of butter for a few minutes on each side. But isn’t butter unhealthy and very fat? Well, yes, but the thing is, because of their molecular structure, when cooking gently and frying, saturated fats are better than many other polyunsaturated fats, as they are less likely to oxidise and release free radicals when heated. I have only used 1Tbsp per person anyways, so don’t worry! 🙂
After the chicken breasts are white in colour on each side, add the mushrooms and saute’ for a few more minutes. Then add the vegetable stock, cream cheese and parsley (which you will have previously mixed together) and cook for a further 15-20 minutes on a low-medium flame, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Serve with some green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinaches or green beans and enjoy! 🙂
Ingredients (Serves 2, or 2 adults and 1 child)
- 400g chicken breasts
- 30g butter
- 100g cream cheese (I used full fat, but low fat would also work)
- 150g mushrooms (any kind you have available)
- 200ml vegetable stock
- a bunch of parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices.
- Warm the butter in a large saute’ pan or deep frying pan and fry the chicken breast slices for a few minutes on each side.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pan with the chicken. Cook for another few minutes, until the mushrooms have softened.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese with the stock and the chopped parsley. Add to the pan, stir and let it cook on a low-medium heat for an extra 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with some green vegetables and enjoy! 🙂
I hope you love this as much as I do! Have a great weekend! 🙂